The WBG offers two residency programs: one–month Artist in Residence (AIR) residencies in summer (June–September) for visual artists, composers, playwrights, and writers of fiction, non–fiction and poetry. We offer Ceramics Residencies. Call us for more info.Our goal is to provide solitude in community and undisturbed time in which to concentrate on independent, creative work in company of fellow artists. Professional recognition is helpful for admission, but is not essential. There are fellowships and stipends available for artists, writers, and for playwrights.
The Byrdcliffe Arts Colony is located in the Catskill Mountains, 1.5 miles from the center of Woodstock, New York. Founded as an Arts & Crafts community in 1903, it has been a haven for visual artists, writers, crafts people, musicians and theater artists for over a century.
Opened in 1903, The Byrdcliffe Art Colony was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in 1979 for its architectural and historical significance. Today it supports a wide range of artists, including writers, composers, painters, and sculptors.
Residents stay at the historic Villetta Inn, built in 1903, a spacious, rustic building with communal dining and living rooms. Each resident has his or her own bedroom and separate studio space. Residents prepare meals in the large, well–appointed kitchen. Typically, residents choose to collaborate on meals.
See our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for more info about your stay at the Colony.
- DEADLINE: MONDAY, MARCH 01, 2010
- APPLICATION (PDF) or (DOC)
- Download an application as a PDF or as a Word Doc. Or we can e-mail, fax, or mail you one if you request.
- The application fee is $35 USD, which is non–refundable. If you used PayPal, please indicate on the order form.
- Each four week session is limited to 10 individuals. The cost per session is $300 USD. Candidates may apply for additional weeks in the event a space becomes available.