Application due: February 13, 2014
Applicant information sessions:
|October 30, 2013, 4:30 p.m.|
1501 Broadway, Suite 701
New York, NY 10036
|December 11, 2013, 6 p.m.|
2301 E Franklin Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55406
See video recording
|January 9, 2014, 4:30 p.m.|
708 Traction Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Many Voices Fellowships are awarded annually to two artists of color with previous playwriting experience and/or training. In response to a national field study commissioned by the Playwrights' Center and the Jerome Foundation, the Many Voices Fellowships was significantly expanded in the 2013-14 fellowship year, offering a doubled award and opening to writers of color residing outside of Minnesota.
One fellowship will be awarded to a Minnesota playwright, and one fellowship will be awarded to either a Minnesota or national playwright. Both Many Voices Fellowships will provide a $10,000 stipend, an additional $2,500 for living expenses, and $1,500 in play development funds. The Fellowship will also focus heavily on building connections with theater leaders and companies in the Twin Cities and nationwide.
Many Voices Fellows participate in monthly meetings facilitated by Many Voices Program Coordinator Christina Ham to share works-in-progress and receive feedback in preparation for a developmental workshop. Fellows have many opportunities to build connections with local theater artists toward future development and production. Fellows also receive a free two-year Playwrights' Center membership and access to other services and opportunities through the Playwrights' Center.
- Applicants for the Many Voices Fellowship may not have had more than one play produced by professional theaters at the time of application. These productions are defined as such where the author and/or primary artists (actors, directors, creative collaborators) were compensated, and received at least ten public performances. Ten-minute or one-act plays and university, college, secondary school, amateur, and Equity showcase/waiver productions are not considered full productions.
- Previous Many Voices participants (including multi-year participants) are eligible to apply.
- Current or past Playwrights' Center Core Writers, Jerome fellows, or any McKnight playwriting fellows are not eligible to apply.
- If desired, a Many Voices fellow may reapply for a second year, though the Fellowship may only be repeated once.
- Many Voices Fellowships are available to artists of color, 21 years of age or older, who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- Students in K-12 educational programs or enrolled in undergraduate and graduate degree programs are not eligible.
CONDITIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Recipients must maintain residency in Minnesota and within 75 miles of the Twin Cities during the grant year (July 1, 2014-June 30, 2015).
- Fellowship recipients may not receive any other Playwrights' Center fellowships or grants during the grant year.
- Recipients are required to participate actively in Playwrights' Center programs during the grant year; including possible teaching and community engagement.
- Fellowship period begins July 1, 2014 and ends June 30, 2015. All fellowship requirements must be met during that time.
Questions may be addressed to Artistic Administrator Amanda Robbins-Butcher.