WASHINGTON, DC – CulturalDC is pleased to announce an Open-Call for 10-Minute Play Submissions and the Source Festival 2015 Full-Length Play Line-up. The Festival, a vital launching pad for new work and a proving ground for Washington, DC’s theatre artists, runs from June 5-28, 2015.
Playwrights are invited to submit 10-Minute scripts specifically related to the major themes in the selected full-length plays. The 2015 themes are:
- Science & Soulmates: Seeking plays that address the juxtaposition of the mind and the heart. Be it physics, chemistry, biology or astronomy, your play must examine true love and the knowledge of the natural world based on experiments and observation.
- Mistakes & Media: Seeking plays that address the constant news cycle of our contemporary society and the perils of living in this digital age.
- Love & Botany: Seeking plays that explore nature AND nurture from a distinctive perspective. Your play must include flora and infatuation.
Each year, Source Festival produces 18 new 10-Minute Plays. Scripts are staged by a wide cross section Washington theatre directors, from early career to seasoned veterans. The 18 selected playwrights receive a $100 stipend and 5 performances of their play in Source’s 100-seat black box theatre in DC’s buzzing Mid-City District. The Source Festival is driven by creativity, collaboration and invention. The most successful scripts tell an original story in a fresh distinctive voice. Other requirements are as follows:
- Plays must relate to one of three themes selected for 2015.
- Plays may not have been previously produced or published and no upcoming productions are scheduled
- Playwrights may submit only one 10-Minute Play
- Plays may be no longer than 10 pages and must be submitted as a PDF
- Playwrights must be based in the United States. We are not currently accepting international submissions.
The deadline for submissions is January 6, 2015.
The eighteen 10-Minute plays chosen for production will be announced in March 2015. For full submission instructions and eligibility guidelines, please visithttp://www.sourcefestival.org/opportunities.html
The 2015 Source Festival will include full-length plays Blue Straggler by Rebecca Bossen(Illinois Arts Council Fellowship winner), The Word and the Wasteland by Timothy Guillot(KCACTF Musical Theatre Award winner) and (a love story) by Kelly Lusk (Actor’s Theatre of Louisville’s National Ten-Minute Play Contest finalist.) In addition, the Festival will produce 18 10-Minute Plays and three Artistic Blind Dates connected to these works by the themes listed above.