Box Wine Theatre is now accepting submissions of scripts and directors for our New York primer of Raucous Caucus, Box Wine Theatre’s annual political play festival. Performances will be at The Peoples Improv Theater [color=#000000]in NYC on T[/color]hurs Sept 29, Fri Sept 30, and Sat Oct 1.We’re looking for artists and scripts that encompass all sides of the political spectrum. Whether you think of yourself as Democrat, Republican, liberal, conservative, moderate or other, Box Wine Theatre wants to hear your voice. Raucous Caucus began in 2010 when the company was based in Minneapolis to encourage dialogue between opposing views in hopes of letting different political and social beliefs be heard.=inheritBox Wine Theatre takes Raucous Caucus audience votes each year to choose Audience Favorite. At Raucous Caucus 2016, we will begin a new tradition of awarding Audience Favorite with a CASH PRIZE. The playwright and director of the winning scene will receive $200 each.
- Script submissions will be due no later than 11:59 pm EST on Monday August 22nd, 2016.
- Playwrights may submit a maximum of two (2) plays.
- Submit all scripts to [email protected] with “Script Submission” in the subject line of the email. In the body of the email, please include your name, email address, and playwright credits/history or attach a resume.
- Scripts written for the stage, only. No screenplays, please.
- There are no restrictions to the scripts’ subject matter as long as the play features political/social commentary.
- Plays should not exceed 10 minutes. Scripts should be no longer than 13 pages. (Keep in mind, 1 page of dialogue usually equals 1 minute of stage time.)
- There will be 2 rounds in the script selection process: The 1st round will be headed by company members of Box Wine Theatre. The 2nd round will be based on choices of the directors.
- Playwrights will not have the option of directing their own pieces. We believe in the collaborative process between the playwright and director and we strongly encourage working together.
- While all playwrights produced in this festival will be considered for a $200 cash prize for Audience Favorite, please be advised there is no other compensation for scripts.
- Director submissions are due by 11:59 pm EST on Sunday =inheritAugust 14, 2016.
- Submit a resume or list of directing credits along with a brief cover letter to [email protected] with “Director” in the subject line of the email. In the body of the email please include your name, email address, and phone number.
- There will be 2 rounds in the script selection process: The 1st round will be headed by company members of Box Wine Theatre. The 2nd round will be based on choices of the directors so they will be responsible for reading all plays that make it past the first round within one week (typically between 15-25 ten-minute plays) to choose their top four.
- Each director is responsible for their scene’s props, costumes, and rehearsal space. Box Wine Theatre can, however help locate some furniture pieces such as tables, chairs, and desks. We can also give a list of recommendations of cheap or free rehearsal space.
- Box Wine Theatre will host a day of non-union auditions in late August/early September for any directors in the festival who would like to see actors. Directors are not limited to the festival-hosted auditions for casting and may use any non-AEA actors they wish for their scenes.
- Performance dates and times: [color=#000000]T[/color]hurs Sept 29 @ 8:00 pm, Fri Sept 30 @ 8:00 pm, and Sat Oct 1 @ 3:00 pm.
- We will have one tech rehearsal before the festival between 9/23-9/28 with exact date TBA.
- While all directors will be considered for a $200 cash prize for Audience Favorite, please be advised there is no other compensation for directing in this festival.